Dogs Benefit People
Contributed By: Sandra J. Crawford
W.H.W.T.C.A. Health Committee
- A national study of heart patients showed that the presence of dogs lowers blood pressure.
- Research has shown that Medicare patients who own dogs make fewer trips to the doctor.
- Dogs reduce depression.
- Dog owners find it easier to make new friends.
- Seniors with dogs go for more walks and are generally more active than those without dogs.
- Dogs are great friends and can benefit everyone in different ways.
- Dogs help ease loss.
- People are less likely to be lonely with a canine friend around.
- Seniors take good care of their dogs and better care of themselves when they own dogs.
- Many dogs provide a sense of security.
Any information contained on this site relating to training and behavior of Westies is for informational purposes only. The WHWTCA recommends that Westies undergo obedience training. For assistance in locating an obedience training club in your area, please consult the American Kennel Club's website at www.akc.org/events/obedience/getting-started/